Thursday, February 21, 2008

Here "I AM"


"When the LORD [YHWH] saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, 'Moses, Moses!' And he said, 'Here I am!'" (Ex 3:4)

Talk about experiencing a flood of emotions. What do you do when God calls to you from a burning bush? What is proper etiquette or proper religious form in this setting? YHWH helped Moses out a little by telling him to take his shoes off because he was on holy ground - as if he didn't realize something sacred was happening. Moses was scared - "Moses hid his face, for we was AFRAID to look at God" (Ex 3:6b). I guess it is no small thing to really meet with God or to find Him in an unexpected place. Right now I am really scared to death about the responsibilities of being a father of eight kids and about the uncontrollable nature of so many of the things that his family expansion brings (language barriers, the kids family, education and religious history, the disruption of our present family birth order, the cultural/racial implications of a racially mixed family in our society, and even how to care for African skin and hair).

It's comforting to think that Moses was a chicken too. "Who am I that I should go to Pharoah? Who should I tell them has sent me so that they'll believe me? How do I know that they'll believe me if I tell them that? I'm really not competent to do what you are asking me to do".

"I AM" (YHWH)!

That's the answer to all of Moses' questions! I AM. Not who you are, but who I AM. You are not driving these plans, I AM. You are not responsible to convince or compel them, I AM. And, you are right, you are not competent to do what I have called you to do, but guess what, I AM.

The glory in this journey does not come from the frightened little man or woman who are barely able to say, "Here I am". No, the glory in this journey will all come from the one who is "I AM".

"The Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God"

1 comment:

K.P. said...

You guys should write books! You are both very talented writers and I appreciate you sharing your heart. It makes me stop and reflect and take a deep breathe and relax. God's got this one! I don't have to worry about it.

Blessings in your journey!