Friday, February 29, 2008

On the Ground in Addis Ababa

We have passed an important milestone! In fact, yesterday we passed nearly 6000 milestones in almost 18 hours of actual flight time. But the most important milestone was the one that said, “Addis Ababa” on it. When the kids and I went to Kenya last year we went via Zurich on Swiss Air, and Ethiopian Airways is no Swiss Air, I assure you. Yet, the trip went without a hitch, on time, and all bags arrived unharmed. And despite being mostly unconscious the last few hours of the trip as we dozed in and out on the plane, we were all able to get a good night’s sleep last night – a real blessing since we turned out the light at about 2 PM back home. We all slept soundly – in fact, as I write this, Luke is still sleeping.

I’ve never been to the Red Sea, and I’m not going to get there this trip either. But it struck me this morning as I was reading about how God delivered Israel from Egypt and took them out to camp by the Red Sea, that I’ve never really been any closer to the Red Sea than I am now. Ethiopia is land-locked, but it is separated by a couple of small countries from the Red Sea and really it is the dominant country in what is known as the Horn of Africa which is comprised of Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Somalia.

There’s really no dramatic point to be made about this, except that in my Bible reading this morning I read some powerful words, which were delivered by Moses to a fearful nation of Israel as they had just experienced the 10 plagues and the Passover that had led to their release from 430 years of bondage and slavery in Egypt and were now camped by the Red Sea. Pharoah was on his way to kill and/or re-enslave them all and Israel had already forgotten the power God has displayed in delivering them just hours earlier. So Israel turns on Moses with its characteristic “whiney negativity”, and when I say “characteristic” I am thinking about how it characterizes my approach to hard times as much as I mean it in reference to Israel. “Bu Moses said to the people, ‘Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today…The LORD will fight for you while you keep silent” (Ex 14:13-14).

Perfect! LORD, we are standing by…

4 comments:

Dad said...

Hi guys,

We are excited for you and are praying for you.
We talk about you all the time and pray for you. We can hardly wait for your return. I already gave the address to Aunt Lois.

Dad

John and Diane Crews said...

Glad you guys made it ok after the long flight. We know the excitement must be boiling over to see the kids and get some hugs. Enjoy your time there as we will be praying for all of you.
John and Diane

Don Pfleger said...

We are praying and are excited for you and Luke.

Don and Anita

mstum said...

You guys are in our prayers! Enjoy every moment of your time in ET, and I cannot wait to see pics of your family all together! Oh, and please tell Bebe & Rachel that the Stums say hello.

Merica (AWAA)